IPM for HONEY BEE PESTS, PARASITES, PATHOGENS and PREDATORS
PESTS: Wax Moths and Small Hive Beetles
- Keep all of your unused combs in mothproof stacks or in a mothproof room or building, preferably unheated. Tape cracks between supers or repair supers so they fit tightly together. Inspect regularly! Treat with Para-moth® or Fumigator® at first sign of wax moth.
- The best solution for wax moths during the winter is to keep your combs in an unheated room where they will freeze.
PARASITES: Parasitic Mites and Nosema
- Remove pesticides as soon as you have met the minimum treatment period (see product labels). Wear nitrile rubber gloves when handling Apistan or CheckMite+. See the labels for Api-Life VAR and Mite-Away II for special handling instructions.
PATHOGENS: AFB and Other Diseases
PREDATORS: Bears and Skunks
- Maintain bear fences. Check voltage and trim grass.
- You may deactivate fences after Thanksgiving, unless it is a warm fall, in which case you should leave them on. Fences with solar chargers can be left active all winter.